Monday, February 13, 2012

GPS and God

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3: 5-6


Trust can be defined as "putting complete confidence in".

The other day I had to attend a teachers conference in a nearby town that I had never been to. When it comes to directions and me, I'm not very good at them (I like to think that north is always in front of me). I get lost pretty easily, and get nervous driving in big towns in which I have no idea where I'm going.... although this time was different. I had a GPS with me for the trip to an unknown city. I was putting my trust in my GPS, and it was so easy for me. It was so easy to put my 100% trust in a little machine to get me to a city I have never been to. I can't even really explain this the way that I want to, but it is very hard for me to put 100% of trust into anything... and I did it so easily with a small machine.

Why is it so easy for me to put my trust into a small machine but not always God. I started to dig deeper and look at the attributes of God. In Job 38 God is talking to Job and asking him a series of rhetorical questions. Each question God asks give a some insight into his power, here are just a few...


  • God laid the foundation of the Earth (vs. 1)
  • God gives orders to the morning and shows dawn it's place (vs. 12)
  • God brings forth the constellations (vs. 32)
  • God sends lightning bolts on their way. (vs. 35)
  • God gives understanding to the mind. (vs. 36)
Wow... God has all of these attributes and so much more! Now, I know that putting my trust and confidence into something is not always easy, but that is because things and people will always fail me no matter what, but what if I (we) put that trust and confidence in God who will never fail us. Sounds like something to to consider....

No comments:

Post a Comment