Monday, February 13, 2012

Bossy... Me... Really?

 

So I was informed by one of my students that I'm bossy! This made me start to wonder, "Am I bossy?" Should I believe a five year old? Hmmmm...

What I love about teaching Kindergarten is that my students are so honest with me. They inform me when I'm having a bad hair day and they tell me when my red vest I'm wearing looks like a life jacket (both of which have really happened). But they also tell me that they love my shoes and that I sing pretty.

I love their honesty in life. They aren't afraid to be bold and tell the truth about what they think on different topics. And so often they pretend to be me! Most Kindergarten students love to pretend being their teacher, and mine love to pretend they are me. Watching them being me is sometimes scary... what qualities in me do they act out?

Knowing that they want to be me while they are playing really makes me think about my words and actions during the day. I want them to know me as kind person... AND NOT BOSSY! This is why it probably made me so concerned when one of them said that to me! I don't' want them to leave Kindergarten knowing me as bossy and not kind! Sort of got me thinking of my words and actions throughout the day... trying to be kind in all that I do.

Now, not to justify this situation... maybe I really am bossy and it took a five-year-old to make me realize that (something that I'm working on), but I do have to tell my students what to do and this one student doesn't always like that... hmmmmm is she just used to getting her way, or am I really bossy?

Anyway..... as I spend my day trying not to be so bossy, you can spend your day thinking about what it would look like if a five-year-old pretended to be you? How would they act you out? Really makes you think, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment